1984 - George Orwell
Sorry Mrs. Liamini, but despite what I may have claimed in 10th grade, I did not in fact read this book over the summer. 1984 was the one required book in my high school career that I never actually read. However, since then I have realized that this book might actually be interesting and discusses a lot of important themes, such as privacy and government intervention, which feel necessary to better understand in today’s political climate.Le Petite Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
The Little Prince has been listed as many different people’s favorite books, including my own fathers. Because of this I would like to read the story, but more specifically the original French version. Ever since I finished my French classes at Troy High, I’ve regretted my loss of the language. By committing to reading and understanding this book I hope to both improve my French while enjoying a beautiful story.
The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank
The story of Anne Frank has touched the hearts of millions. This first hand account of what life was like during the Nazi regime is not only heartbreaking, but incredibly impactful and informative. Despite the years and circumstances separating us, this book shows how incredibly similar the victims of the world's tragedies are to each and every one of us. Of all the books on this list, this is by far the most important and significant.
The Twilight Saga - Stephanie Meyer
Though I have never watched the movies, I believe it to be of the utmost importance to read this series. The Twilight Saga reshaped the modern romance genre and left a lasting impression on the literature community. It is arguably one of the most influential series of the 21st century. I consider it a modern classic and will read it as soon as I am able.
The Secret History - Donna Tartt
As I myself am about to begin my college journey, this classic story about a group of teenagers experiencing the same thing, yet going down a very different path, should be incredibly thought provoking.
Moby Dick - Herman Melville
I have always been curious why a story about a giant whale has captivated the interest of scholars for centuries. I am prepared to be disappointed, but it still seems like an interesting read.
Normal People - Sally Rooney
After seeing this book all over social media, I’ve decided that since so many other people like it, I probably will too. Like The Secret History, this book features two main characters at the beginning of their college journey and should hopefully provide a different perspective to a situation I will shortly be experiencing for myself.
I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai
After doing at least 4 different projects on Malala, I think it’s only fair that I actually read the book that made her so influential. Malala has devoted her life to improving access to education for women, a privilege that I often take for granted. I plan on reading this book my first semester of college, if I ever begin to resent the education my parents and I are committing so much money to. Hopefully, it will serve as a reminder to be grateful for my educational opportunities.
The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorn
Ever since I first watched “Easy A”, a popular rom com on Netflix, I’ve wanted to read the classic novel the movie is based on. Reading classic novels like this allows me to better understand references made in popular culture that I’m currently missing out on. The Scarlet Letter is frequently discussed in many popular movies and I would like to be able to understand it. Plus, if the book is anything like the movie, it should be very interesting.
Frankenstein - Mary Shelly
Frankenstein is yet another classic story that has been remade and assimilated into popular culture. This book has also been recommended to me as a great work of literature. I am especially appreciative of the fact that it was written by a woman at just 18 years old, during a time when women’s writing was not appreciated.
Comments
Post a Comment